Tuesday, October 16, 2007

How to Consume Several Hours (Pointlessly) Stuck Inside on a Rainy Day

I woke up this morning to (relatively) clear skies. Of course, I wake up to a radio alarm; so, not too soon after I woke up, I heard that yes, once again, it would rain today. Now I don’t know about your plans for the day. But if you were like me, it wasn’t too detrimental – you just have to walk through it to get the next place on your agenda. I send my sympathy to anyone who was planning to actually do anything outside to day; and for anyone who didn’t have to go anywhere, I envy you.

From this occurance sprung my “How to…” topic of the day: How to Consume Several Hours (Pointlessly), Stuck Inside on a Rainy Day.

1. Curl up with a good book next to a fire. We all know that this is very cliché, and hardly ever really happens; but we like to dream of it anyway. In reality, pick up a book (a *fun* book; not one work assigned you, or a self-help book) get a novel. If curling up is not exactly going to be an option, at least find a comfy spot; I recommend a lounge chair, sofa, or my personal favorite – my bed. As for the fire – very few homes (apartments, condos, studios, etc.) really have a fireplace anymore. So first, make sure you’re warm; blankets to wrap around you are perfect. If you don’t have the convenience of a fireplace (or the time to bother with setting a fire up) you can light a candle for a similar affect. To make up for the few things that keep this scenario from being the perfect cliché, I recommend throwing in chocolate to the mix.

2. Catch up on your favorite shows saved to TiVo. Yeah, I know, my list isn’t encouraging to go out there and get your aerobic activity for the day… but hey, it’s raining! You can take one day for a break. Again, I recommend warmth, blankets, and possibly chocolate.

3. Spend some time looking at your favorite websites. Fun ones! Avoid business for a while… sit back and enjoy the pleasures of life. Some of my personal favorite: Post Secret (http://www.postsecret.com/); Lol Cats (http://icanhascheezburger.com/); Good ol’ Myspace (yes, you too are still allowed to have one) (http://www.myspace.com/); and of course, don’t forget to check in with me! Your favorite How To girl: (http://www.ResidentHowToGirl.blogspot.com/).

4. Read some old magazines. I don’t know about you; but I love getting magazines. I love the articles, I love the helpful information… but I never have time to finish them all the way. And if you’re also like me, you probably don’t like to throw them out until they’re fully read. So sit down and take the time to flip through those articles. Don’t feel bad to skip over the topics you really don’t care about! And think of it this way, once your done with the March 2005 issue, you have one less thing hanging around your home to clutter it!

5. Spend time with those you love. Last, but certainly not least, spend time with your loved ones. Your kids, your husband, your boyfriend, your family, and if none of these – your closest friends. Let them know they’re appreciated, make a point to learn something new about them, and just in general – love all over them.

I hope my boredom, and gloom over the rainy weather, has given you some ideas for the next day it rains; whether that’s tomorrow, a week from now, or months away. Or maybe, you can just pretend it’s raining, and take a day off to relax.

Sincerely,
Andie Anderson

No comments: